Flax, Chia & Turmeric. 3 Superfoods That Help You Better Manage Your Multiple Sclerosis - #HealthyThursday

Flax, chia and turmeric. How do these three so-called super-foods help you on the long run? How do they contribute to your wellbeing and help with MS management? Let me tell you my story. Feel free to do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

Nowadays, it’s hard to live a healthy and antiinflammatory diet, given the consumption patterns and all the zero nutrient foods that are mass produced. So, what do we do other than try to eat as healthy and as organic as we possibly can? We add natural helpers. Tiny roots and seeds that are nutrient dense and help digestion and promote healthy functioning of the whole body.

When dealing with multiple sclerosis, doing your best to avoid inflammation and nourish the body naturally are two of the best things you can do to ensure optimal health. To have any result, all the foods, exercise and relaxation measures we may take need to be implemented on the long run. Healthy choices that become habits, that eventually make you stronger.

The trick is finding the right mix that suits your tastes, lifestyle and capabilities. All we do in life is choose on a daily basis. Below are three of my little choices that have made me enjoy experimenting with healthy foods, not thinking that I might become defficient in any essential nutrient.

Flax and chia seeds are the type of products that I wouldn’t normally crave. But stirring them into smoothies or greek yoghurt (if you choose to eat dairy) with honey and I had a lovely dessert, full of calcium, vitamin B6, omega-3 and omega-6, iron, copper and loads of other vitamins and nutrients good for my health. You can also add them in baked goods, replacing flour and / or eggs, as flax contain plant-based fats. 

Since I began using them, my intestinal transit got better, meaning that flushing toxins was a little bit more efficient. Like all things in life, I ate them moderately, as to not upset the stomach or get my body immune to them (pun not intended).

When I first ran into turmeric, a few years back, I didn’t think so much about it, as its bitter taste didn’t make me associate it with something pleasant, as most foods do. So I left it where it was. Little did I know that I will end up making and drinking turmeric tea three times a day. It has become a staple in my morning, afternoon and evening routine.

Turmeric Tea Recipe
I mix ½ tsp of turmeric powder, ¼ tsp of cinnamon powder, 1 tsp raw honey and the juice of half a small lemon. Mix and pour over about half a cup of hot water. I mix again and enjoy! It is known to reduce blood pressure, boosts energy, it protects the liver, reduces inflammation and many more. For me, it has replaced coffee, reduced inflammatory states and made me feel better overall since I started cosuming it more than a year ago.

These three are potent antinflamatory, healthy protein and calcium, fiber and healthy fats dense foods that you can add to your diet tomorrow. Give them a try for at least a month and tell me how you think. We all react differently so just try and see. If it works, and you feel better, keep it. If it doesn’t, just try something else. I’ll be here weekly with other choices on #HealthyThursday.

Tell me your story in the comments below. Maybe you’ve already tried one or all of these foods. Maybe you have an inspiring story about nutrition and MS management that others might like. Don’t forget to subcribe for more articles!

Lots of love,
Alexandra